United Help Ukraine is a charitable non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. It was started in 2014 as a volunteer organization providing humanitarian, medical and other assistance to the people of Ukraine affected by the Russian invasion.
The mission of United Help Ukraine (UHU) is to provide the people of Ukraine with critical support that will enable them to survive in the face of adversity, to defend and regain their sovereign territory, and to rebuild and thrive well into the future. UHU is committed to maximizing the impact of charitable contributions by providing humanitarian, medical and psychological assistance to those affected by the war. We also focus on raising awareness and advocating for Ukraine to remain a free, democratic and independent nation.
United Help Ukraine strives to serve as a leading voice and partner that works diligently alongside the people and institutions of Ukraine so the nation and its people remain free, democratic, and independent.
- Save lives of Ukrainian soldiers
- Provide help to the wounded Ukrainian warriors
- Provide help to the families of wounded and killed in the war
- Provide help to internally displaced people
- Promote Ukraine’s culture and raise awareness of the current situation in Ukraine
- Integrity – Acting with honesty and honor in every action and every decision.
- Accountability – Acknowledging and assuming responsibility for actions, decisions, and policies. It is applied to both individual accountability on the part of members and accountability of the organization as a whole.
- Ukrainian Focus – Promoting Ukraine’s culture, raising awareness of current events in Ukraine and introducing the high potential of magnificent Ukraine.
- Passion – Practicing mission with purpose, pride, and a positive attitude, while striving to save lives and make a difference for those in need.
- Teamwork – Driving successes through strong collaboration and communication. Together we can do much more!
In 2014, after Russia has annexed Crimea and occupied part of eastern Ukraine, the group of activists of Ukrainian origin decided to create charitable organization to bring awareness to the situation in Ukraine and to provide aid to the Ukrainians suffered from the Russian invasion.
On August 12, 2014, along with the presentation of the logo, it was proposed to call us “United Help Ukraine“.
The name and logo actually came into being at the same time. The center is the keyword “Help” and its first letter “H“. “United” and “Ukraine” are represented as two “U“s, which, when placed in a certain way, reflect two important aspects of our association:
- the emotional component is represented by the silhouettes of two index fingers, turned not to each other, but to the letter “H“, i.e. towards “Help“, symbolizing our humanitarian mission of volunteers;
- the rational component, no less important, is the same two “U“s, in which it is easy to see the silhouette of two “cups/phials” of an hourglass. And the fact that the letter “H” (as “Help“) is again in the focus united at their apexes of the “hemispheres” of the clock indicates that it is not just about help, but about timely help. At that time, we understood the need for such assistance – after all, it was in those days that a direct invasion of Russian troops into the territory of Ukraine took place – there were only a few days left before the Ilovaisk tragedy…
Naturally, the silhouettes of the two “U“s received the colors of the Ukrainian flag, thereby emphasizing the importance of uniting different regions of Ukraine . Indeed, in the core of our group were representatives of the north and south, east and west of Ukraine.
And the last. Since the name and logo were born at the same time, there was a natural desire to write the name into the logo and thus complete the creation of the logotype.
It turned out that the “Cult” family of fonts contains not only the ideal letters – , , – for silhouettes, but what was extremely important – the letter “E” in this family is displayed exactly as the unique letter in the Ukrainian alphabet, which at the same time is the verb “to be” in the present tense.
Thus, the creation of the original of our logo on a white background was completed:
After that, a complementary version of the logo on a black background was created ,
as well as our slogan
“Helping People, Saving Lives“:
Then did our group decide to apply for registration of the organization as a charity…
So, this is a brief history of the content side of our Name and Logo. But there are many other stories – each of them will be longer – each of us can tell such a story – about how we first met at rallies and fundraisers to help Ukraine, how we began to live in trust to each other, and be friends with families …